Updated stats: Edison Research Infinite Dial 2018 released March 8th, 2018. Q1 2018 report from Nielsen came out March 20, 2018. Total number of podcasts & episodes on iTunes updated February 2019.
As new stats and reports come out, this post will be updated with the latest info on the podcast listener landscape.
There is both an infographic (with embed code) and a Pinterest image for your sharing needs as well!
If you’re looking for podcast stats & analytics for your podcast, check out Blubrry Statistics here.
Also, a common question is “how many podcasts are there?” and most of the data out there is outdated, but we have an accurate method for determining the number of shows – and it’s currently over 660,000.
There are also over 28 million episodes as of Feb 2018.
To highlight the growth, Apple confirmed there were over 550,000 podcasts at WWDC 2018 in early June.
An article published April 25, 2018, by FastCompany states there are:
Over 525,000 active shows and over 18.5 million episodes
And an article by Variety back in Feb 2018 said:
Apple Podcasts … features more than 500,000 active podcasts, including content in more than 100 languages.
It’s no surprise that those numbers are climbing daily.Did you know there are over 660,000 podcasts?Click To Tweet
Here’s the 2018 Podcast Stats & Facts Infographic:
Copy This Code To Share On Your Site:
Podcast Listener Stats (USA)
- 64% of the US population is familiar with the term “podcasting” – up from 60% in 2017 (Infinite Dial 18)
- 50% of all US homes are podcast fans (Nielsen, Aug 2017)
- 44% (124 million) of the US population has listened to a podcast – up from 40% in 2017 (Infinite Dial 18)
- 26% (73 million) listen to podcasts at least every month – up from 24% in 2017 (Infinite Dial 18)
- 17% (48 million) listen to podcasts weekly – up from 15% in 2017
- 16 million people in the US are “avid podcast fans” (Nielsen Q1 2018)
- 56% of podcast listeners are Male
- 45% of monthly podcast listeners have household income over $75K – vs 35% for the total population
- 27% of US podcast listeners have a 4-year college degree – vs 19% for US pop
- 36% of podcast listeners are non-white – vs 30% in 2010 (Nielsen, Aug 2017)
Where, What, When, How
- 49% of podcast listening is done at home, down from 51% in 2017
- 22% listen while driving (in a vehicle), same as 2017
- Podcast listeners subscribe to an average of 6 shows
- Podcast listeners listen to an average of 7 different shows per week, up from 5 in 2017
- 80% listen to all or most of each episode, down from 86% in 2017
- Podcast listening on a computer went up from 29% to 31% (smartphone listening went from 71% to 69% respectively)
- 19% of listeners increase the speed (listen faster)
- 65% of monthly podcast listeners have been listening for less than 3 years
- Comedy is the most popular podcasting genre, followed by education and news
Social, Tech & Behavior
- Podcast listeners are much more active on every social media channel (94% are active on at least one – vs 81% for the entire population)
- Podcast listeners are more likely to follow companies and brands on social media
- Podcast listeners are more likely to subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime (meaning they are less likely to be exposed to TV advertising)
- Podcast listeners are more likely to own a smart speaker (Amazon Alexa or Google Home)
- 51% of bottled water households are podcast listeners (Nielsen, Q3 2017)
- 57% of baby food households are podcast listeners (Nielsen, Q3 2017)
- 53% of beer households are podcast listeners (Nielsen, Q3 2017)
- 56% of juice households are podcast fans (Nielsen, Q1 2018)
- 54% of milk households are podcast fans (Nielsen, Q1 2018)
- 54% of cereal households are podcast fans (Nielsen, Q1 2018)
- 69% agreed that podcast ads made them aware of new products or services
Global Podcast Stats
South Korea leads the world in the percentage of people who have listened to a podcast in the past month with 58%.