Updated stats: New report from Nielsen came out August 2017.
New research from Nielsen just came out in their June 2017 ‘State Of The Media: Audio Today 2017’ report so it seemed like a good time to give an update on the podcast listener landscape with updated statistics. Most of the data is the Edison Research report that came out earlier this year.
There is both an infographic (with embed code) and a Pinterest image for your sharing needs as well!
Want to start your own podcast? Sign up for a podcast host and start recording!
Also, a common question is “how many podcasts are there?” and most of the data out there is outdated, but a new article published Feb 1, 2018, by Variety states:
Apple Podcasts … features more than 500,000 active podcasts, including content in more than 100 languages.
Not an exact number (and I’m sure it changes daily), but it’s better than nothing.
Here’s the 2017 Podcast Stats & Facts Infographic:
Copy This Code To Share On Your Site:
Podcast Listener Stats
- 60% of the US population is familiar with the term “podcasting” – up from 55% in 2016
- 50% of all US homes are podcast fans (Nielsen, Aug 2017)
- 40% (112 million) of the US population has listened to a podcast – up from 36% in 2016
- 24% (67 million) listen to podcasts at least every month – up from 21% in 2016
- 15% (42 million) listen to podcasts weekly – up from 13% in 2016
- 56% of podcast listeners are Male
- 45% of monthly podcast listeners have household income over $75K – vs 35% for the total population
- 27% of US podcast listeners have a 4-year college degree – vs 19% for US pop
- 36% of podcast listeners are non-white – vs 30% in 2010 (Nielsen, Aug 2017)
Where, What, When, How
- 51% of podcast listening is done at home
- 22% listen while driving (in a vehicle)
- Podcast listeners subscribe to an average of 6 shows
- Podcast listeners listen to an average of 5 different shows per week
- 86% listen to all or most of each episode
- Podcast listening on a computer went up from 29% to 31% (smartphone listening went from 71% to 69% respectively)
- 65% of monthly podcast listeners have been listening for less than 3 years
- Comedy is the most popular podcasting genre, followed by education and news
Social, Tech & Behavior
- Podcast listeners are much more active on every social media channel (94% are active on at least one – vs 81% for the entire population)
- Podcast listeners are more likely to follow companies and brands on social media
- Podcast listeners are more likely to subscribe to Netflix or Amazon Prime (meaning they are less likely to be exposed to TV advertising)
- Podcast listeners are more likely to own a smart speaker (Amazon Alexa or Google Home)
- 51% of bottled water households are podcast listeners
- 57% of baby food households are podcast listeners
- 53% of beer households are podcast listeners
Here’s an image formatted for sharing on Pinterest:
Just hover over the image and click save.